First congratulations to Ben on his new job as Senior Editor. We're all very excited for you! I was chatting with his wife Megan the other day about how this new position is a great opportunity for him. In addition to health benefits for him and his family, he is able to stretch his legs in the editing studio again versus being that proverbial manager with a clipboard.
Megan lamented it had been so long since he'd blue skied and that he was so good at it, it was a shame. I replied "yeah" sympathetically and immediately started googling "blue sky". I figured this was some video editing suite I'd never heard of. After a few dead ends I gave in and asked her what the hell she was talking about.
Blue sky (as a verb), according to Megan is "to float big ideas around, like brainstorming with no limits." It's "thinking an idea that's not subject to limits" or "to play suppose." But she followed quickly that this is very much Ben's thing, not hers. It's his term and his talent.
This sounded like fun! I haven't done much blue skying in a long time, too busy dealing with the day to day items. Do you blue sky? What are your dreams that have no limits? My parents still talk about what they'll do when they win the lottery. What's the thing you'll do when you stop listening to others telling you it's not possible?
Let's try it out together this month for our Living Out Loud project.
- Write something personal about yourself using the previous paragraphs as a guideline. Do not feel that you have to address each prompt above. The spirit of this project is to share something about yourself; I'm just throwing out ideas.
- Once you have completed your entry and posted it, please email me the link at genie [at] inabottle [dot] org. Remember, if you don't email me, I'm likely to forget to include you in the recap!
- If you do not have a blog to host your story, you can email me the story directly and I will add it here as a guest post giving you credit. The more the merrier!
- The due date for entries is Sunday, April 3rd (the first Sunday of the month) at 5pm Eastern.
- Once I have collected all the entries, I will post a wrap-up to list them all and announce a winner. The winner will receive a $25 Amazon gift card but all participants will receive fame and glory and a link on our Living Out Loud blogroll.
In honor of Ben, let's all blue sky to see how fun it can be!