There are many things about Facebook that chap me (deleting breastfeeding photos, making privacy changes without sufficient info, karnflabbit FARMVILLE!), but I still find myself checking it every single day. I admit I check it more often than Twitter these days. And while there are updates from co-workers and close friends, there are also updates from people I never thought I'd hear from again. A girl I shared science with just finished a triathalon (!) this weekend and posted pictures of a play date with her five (!) kids. Another girl who was always stylishly dressed and coiffed in high school just finished 24 pushups using the iPhone 100 pushups app. The picked-on guy who never had a girlfriend is married and soon to be a dad. Personally, I love getting these updates.
But this isn't about Facebook. This is about the difference between high school and who we are now. Some of these people I couldn't stand in 1992 and now I'm cooing over their baby pictures. Is each of us very different now? Would we find the high school version of ourselves pretty insufferable?
Tell us about your high school self. In the Breakfast Club version of your school were you the brain, the athlete, the basket case, the princess or the criminal? Are there people you would love to find from high school? Others you'd love to forget? How do you compare to what you were then? Would your English teacher recognize you? Would he or she be proud of you?
- Write something personal about yourself using the previous paragraphs as a guideline. Do not feel that you have to address each prompt above. The spirit of this project is to share something about yourself; I'm just throwing out ideas.
- Once you have completed your entry and posted it, please email me the link at genie [at] inabottle [dot] org. Remember, if you don't email me, I'm likely to forget to include you in the recap!
- If you do not have a blog to host your story, you can email me the story directly and I will add it here as a guest post giving you credit. The more the merrier!
- The due date for entries is Sunday, October 3rd (the first Sunday of the month) at 5pm Eastern.
- Once I have collected all the entries, I will post a wrap-up to list them all and announce a winner. The winner will receive some sort of prize to be determined but all participants will receive fame and glory and a link on our Living Out Loud blogroll.
Bonus points for embarrassing photos!