I could have sworn I saw a recipe recently for baked sweet potatoes topped with zucchini and other goodies but now it's lost in the ether of the Internet. What I did find was a recipe for sweet potato zucchini casserole and it was amazing! I didn't have turkey or mozzarella cheese when I made mine so I winged it with sausage and mexican blend cheese. Delicious. I also doubled the garlic and cheese from the original recipe because let's be real.
Sweet Potato Zucchini Casserole
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice (coconut, olive, vegetable)
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey (or Jimmy Dean sausage)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced (A mandolin slicer is great for this.)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (or Mexican shredded cheese)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional if you wanna be fancy)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbs of oil over medium high heat.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add onions, garlic and cook until the onions are softened.
- Add the ground meat and cook until no longer pink, making sure to break apart the meat with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add tomato sauce, the cooked zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook for more 3-5 minutes.
- In a greased baking casserole place the slices of sweet potato in an even layer.
- Pour into baking dish the ground meat/zucchini mixture.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Before serving sprinkle some fresh parsley.